Archive | Art 204 RSS feed for this section

Final project garment

30 Nov

Princess-line Peplum dress with oversized bow

   

  

      

My inspiration from the Fowler Museum in UCLA was Barron Lacroix, which had a lot of colors. It’s a man wearing a suit with a bow tie, so I took the bow tie into inspiration and made it oversized in a women’s peplum dress.

proud of myself with my final result :]



Advertisements

Final garment ideas

7 Nov

The whole quarter I had envisioned what I wanted to do for my final project. I still wanted to keep my original plan and use the exhibit as inspiration to pick out my fabric. The exhibition had a dark feeling to it so I decided to of course incorporate black fabric. Behind the dark feeling that it gave me, there were bright colors that would stand out. The color that stood out for me was purple and a florescent pink. The piece I chose to focus on was Barron Lacroix (2010). It’s an older man in a black suit, standing on a platform. There are skulls represented in the piece. The background has a lot of different colored leaves, outlined with a different color. For my final garment I chose to make a peplum top. I would use the bodice sloper without the darts and add on the bottom hem to make into a peplum. For the peplum I would use the slash and pivot technique. For my bottom I will be making a skirt around mid thigh length. I will be using the skirt sloper. The fabrics I will be using are woven, cotton.

Image

Bias cut wrap dress

30 Oct

20121030-161453.jpg

This project was fun. I would make another one. the hardest part was the facing. This project wasn’t as bad as i thought it was going to be. Now I know how to make some summer wraps. No fun to work when ur getting sick.

Princess A-Line Dress

23 Oct

Front

Back

This project was probably my least favorite. It was a bit awkward and confusing. I think my favorite part in it all was sewing the skirt seams together. When it came down to sewing the bodice to the skirt my bodice did not match up so I had to ease it in somehow. The hem was not fun, I think I will be choosing a different hem for my final project. On the positive side all these samples have me thinking about my final project which I am excited about! I have an idea in mind and hopefully i can create it.

Pegged Pleated Skirt

16 Oct

Front

Back

The pleated skirt was not my favorite. I did have a couple challenges with the pleats. My favorite part was the back because it was simple and looked like the back of a pencil skirt with a slit. One of my favorite kinds of skirts are pencil skirts so I wasn’t a huge fan of the pleats. To be honest it was a bit hard.

Dolman Bodice

11 Oct

Front of Dolman Bodice

Back of Dolman Bodice

The Dolman bodice was interesting to make.You use 3 different patterns that were made previous to make a dolman sleeve. I like to wear dolman sleeves so it was pretty cool to learn how to make one. The hardest part was using knit as our fabric because it stretched when I was sewing it which made it uneven at the end of the seams. So I tried my best to keep them matched together. The only thing I would change is making  the front all one piece instead of having a center front seam.

Skirt Sloper and Trouser Sloper

9 Oct

After getting the hang of making patterns on this assignment I found the skirt sloper to be easier then the trouser sloper. It had a lot of similarities with the darts and the seam curve. There was more lines and steps to do with the trouser. Thanks to working with Natasha we were able to pull it through with no worries. Out of the two the skirt was my favorite.

the darts are sewn in my skirt..ready to sew my side seams

Final skirt sloper front

Final skirt sloper back

finishing up my trouser pattern..

sewing in my trouser darts..

Final Trouser sloper front

Final trouser sloper back